Friday, May 23, 2008

Organization is the Key!





During the month of April we decided we had had enough with our closet. Rob and I being the obsessive-compulsive personalities that we are, we decided to design the mecca of organization. In all honesty, Rob just wanted some cubies. But we couldn't just stop there! If we were going to do it, we were going to do it right! Rob came home from work one day and Tawanda had struck. I took a crow-bar to the existing clothes rack/shelf and ripped it all out. We actually enjoy doing this sort of project together. We both cut the wood and install it all, (meaning I hold the boards and hand Rob the tools). Then I take over with all of the caulking and painting. The kids were so excited to help. They strapped on their tool belts and were ready to get to work. We had another idea for them: they watched Dumbo three times, Toy Story, and several other cartoons all in one day. Roopie found contentment in the exersaucer or on the floor playing. Eventually she would just fall asleep. What great parents we are! We are now almost finished with the dream closet. Rob is in heaven with his eighteen cubies and a shoe bench. I absolutely love my twenty-six slots for shoes and will thoroughly love having drawers in my closet if we ever finish them. I got burned out after 40+ hours of painting and I haven't wanted to look at another project since. I'm sure it will only be temporary and I will be nagging on Rob about our next home improvement. Will it be the basement or my dream craft room next?

10 comments:

Reeses Pieces said...

Wow, I am so impressed. You guys could go into business together. I would love all of the cubies too. Lots of places to put more of my junk :)

Lindsey said...

Wow! I knew that you two were taleneted, but I don't think I had the big picture. The closet is amazing! Don't be surprised if we call you for a consult when we get a house!

Thomas said...

I must add my support for the house consult. Seriously though that looks amazing. You two are really talaneted and you deserve that closet for all the hard work you put into it. Well Done!

Ranae said...

WOW!! Do you guys hire out? I am impressed beyond words. I was a wallpaper queen for a while, but I have never done much painting. Shane painted for $$ while going to college and swore that once he graduated, he would never paint again. He has been true to his word. I have painters at my house right this minute and not only are they not related, they don't even speak the same language!

aquabatgirl said...

when we're ready for our closet to be organized we'll be sure to fly you guys out. it looks great and something i too would love to have :)

Anonymous said...

I love all the shelves and cubbies. I'm impressed. Our closet it kind of the place we put things to get them out of the way or when we don't know where else to put it. Needless to say it is hard to even turn around in. Put me on the hire out list. Love ya, Tracy

jimnjennie said...

Strong work! I sense a lot of closet envy out there. Be careful with your tablesaw; on Thursday night alone we treated 9 partial-to-complete finger amputations between 3 patients with tablesaw injuries (especially don't use it if you have Parkinson's disease).

Jim

Amanda said...

Wow! Will you come do my closet next?!?

natalie said...

Jim's comment is still making me laugh. I too, am impressed. Our marriage probably would have ended after a project like that. Matt's a perfectionist and I just want to get it done and out of the way. Great job. Does your closet always look that clean????

kelsey said...

I'm very impressed. I think you need to be glad that most of your cousins don't live very close to you or we would all be needing your help.